AMASE (Academy of Music and Arts for Special Education) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, faith-based organization that provides music and art education to individuals with special needs. For more information on who we are, check here: About Us
2019-20 Application (opens March 15th, 2019)
Please apply by April 30th 2019!
BEFORE YOU APPLY:
- SHORT ESSAY [Write & Upload in Application] In approximately 250 words, please answer the following questions: (1) Why you want to be an AMASE volunteer? (2) What would make you a great AMASE volunteer?
- AUGUST VOLUNTEER TRAINING It is MANDATORY for new volunteers to attend summer training. The dates for training are TBA. Location: Valley Church of Cupertino. Please note that if you cannot attend all of the training you may be waitlisted.
- ADULT, NON-FAMILY RECOMMENDER Before you submit this application, please check with your chosen ADULT, NON-FAMILY recommender that they are okay with providing a recommendation for you. Examples of appropriate recommenders: school teacher, counselor, art/music teacher, pastor, coach, family friend, employer.
- READ PROGRAM DESCRIPTION Read through the description (after Application Process). If you have questions after reading through, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3/15: Application Opens
- 4/30: Application Closes
- Early May: Recommendations Due
- Mid May: Gala Attendance (REQUIRED)
- Late May: Interviews
- Early June: Decisions Emailed
Volunteer Program Description
Our volunteers work with students with special needs who are ranging in age from 5 to 35+ years old. Students are typically on the autism spectrum, although some have other disabilities. Each student is paired with one to two volunteers in a “buddy system” depending on the class(es) they attend.
We meet twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays at Valley Church in Cupertino, CA. Volunteers typically come for one class per week though they can come for all four classes if they wish!
The time commitment is 1.5 hours during a typical week, and we meet for around 13 weeks in our fall semester (September~December), 13-16 weeks in our spring semester (January~May) and 1 week in the summer (August). Our volunteers typically stay at AMASE until they graduate from high school.
Volunteers are also expected to participate in our Christmas and Gala Concerts/Exhibitions, which are on Saturday afternoons, as well as other minor events throughout the year such as volunteer trainings, workshops, worship nights, and mini concerts.
Depending on the class, the volunteer may be expected to participate in several other events (for example, performing with local choirs/orchestras or hanging art pieces in an exhibition).
Art volunteers come at 4:30 PM to prepare for art class, which is from 5:00-6:00 PM. There are around 10 classrooms total made up of 5-10 students each. Art classes are headed by professional, experienced art teachers as well as volunteer leaders. More information about our art program can be found here: AMASE Art Program
Music volunteers come at 5:30 PM to prepare for music class, which is from 6:00-7:00 PM. There are around 10 classrooms total made up of 10-15 students each. Music classes are headed by professional, experienced music teachers as well as volunteer leaders. More information about our music program can be found here: AMASE Music Program
College students and postgraduates/professionals interested in serving in other areas are encouraged to use the application to indicate their interests. We will be contacting those applicants on an individual basis.
We accept volunteers, as well as students, from all ethnic and religious backgrounds. Since we are a Christian organization, we do ask that volunteers come to AMASE respectful of our faith-related practices, but do not require volunteers to participate in activities that may cause them any discomfort.
If you have any questions regarding volunteering, please contact us at email@example.com